John Porter - Professional Profile
• BA Law and Politics (2:1Hons), University of Lincoln
• Legal Practice Course, College of Law
John is a solicitor in the contentious construction team in the firm's London office. He has experience of acting for construction professionals in relation to negligence claims brought against them, along with a range of disputes on behalf of international contractors, and employers in particular NHS Trusts. John has experience of a range of dispute resolution forums including adjudication, litigation, and arbitration, both domestic and international. Some recent cases John has been involved in include:
• Acting on behalf of a major international contractor in relation to a dispute with a developer concerning the construction of a large housing project in the UK. The dispute arose out of a JCT 1998 design and build contract and was of an approximate value of £30m. The dispute comprised a number of elements, including a series of adjudications on discreet issues and interim payment certificates, and Part 8 proceedings in the Technology and Construction Court in London.
• Acting for a major international contractor in relation to a number of final account disputes with their subcontractors on a range of projects in the UK.
• Acting for a multidisciplinary practice employed as project manager and quantity surveyor in an arbitration with the developer and main contractor concerning the redevelopment of a listed building into office premises.
• Acting for an international contractor in an ICC arbitration over a final account dispute of circa $50m. The dispute concerned a major infrastructure project in eastern Europe carried out pursuant to a FIDIC contract.
• Acting for insurers defending a final account claim of circa £10m in the Technology and Construction Court. The dispute arose from the reconstruction of a factory in the UK following its destruction by fire.
• Acting for a social housing trust in High Court proceedings with a main contractor in relation to the development of a social housing scheme.
Content on LexisPSL
Practice Note: Termination on Insolvency
Practice Note: Force Majeure